Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: If true it's a good step, but Microsoft has other UI problems
In reply to theswede, May 10, 2013

theswede wrote:

Try sliding from the top down without a touch screen and see how intuitive and easy it is compared to clicking on a screen button.

I don't use metro applications and I can still use Windows 8, running applications and then closing them by clicking on a button. Isn't that what makes Windows 8 a hybrid OS? Obviously you haven't used Windows 8 or, you knew there is a desktop there and all desktop applications are run in the desktop environment.

Aren't there in any OS designed for any interface (touchscreen or desktop). What make you think because there is a gesture that can't be seen, then the OS must be designed for touch screen. By that logic, all OS are designed for  touch screne including all previous windows.

No visual cues for where actions can be taken in the UI. That's a heavy cognitive load to push onto a user. The interface does not help you by being evident, it requires you to rote memorize corners and motions which have no real world analogs and which are non-obvious.

In every operating system whether designed for touch screen or desktop there are certain UI aspects for which there is no visual clue. In all previous versions of windows, in OS XX, iOS, Linux, Android there are invisible keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures. Users need to be educated about how things work. Your criticism of MS on introducing new UI without giving visual cue or educating people about them might be valid or invalid; but that was not the point of discussion: Windows 8 doesn't become a touch screen OS, because it contains new invisibles gestures. Users have had years of usage of the previous Windows so they have learned all the visual cues from each other. This doesn't make the previous windows any better just because we have been familiar with them with them. And I bet you, there are still many UI aspects of the previous windows, many long time windows users still don't know (including me).

Click on the start button to get a list of the programs installed on their computer.

Again, obviously you have not used Widnows 8 much since whenever you install a new program, you have the option to have a shortcut in the start menu. Once you choose the option, you will automatically have the application button in the default metro page. Otherwise, you right click on the metro screen to bring up all installed applications and choose which one to run or add the the default metro screen. Don't tell me there must be a visual cue for all this. There was no visual cue for any sort of right click in previous windows in any sense and users only learned them from each other or, they just discovered it by themselves.

Which makes it bad for both. There is a reason Apple did not put OSX on the iPad nor iOS on their Macbooks.

What makes you think it makes it bad for both.? There are millions of content win8 users. Open your mind and stop the prejudiced opinion that windows 8 does not work for the desktop. Start using it with positive attitude and your negative feelings about it will gradually change.

Your opinion is noted, as is the observation that it's in the minority.

Being in the minority is something I am not sure about: maybe on some online forums but otherwise, who knows (and even if true, it will be temporary for now until windows 8 replaces all previous windows). But in any case, it doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 can be just as fine as previous windows for everybody not just for me and there are many people out there who are already happily using the Windows 8.

"Some". Understatement of the year.

Exaggeration of the year.

You have not had to navigate the start menu if you knew what you wanted to start in previous versions of Windows. However, in Windows 8 you are barred from examining what software is installed and be reminded of the name of it; you have to know what it's called or have it pinned in your Metro interface in order to find it. If you sit down at a colleague's computer you have no way of quickly discerning what software is installed on it.

Already answered above. Right click on the metro page and you can bring up and see all installed applications. Don't tell me there is no viual cue to right clicking because you don't know about clicking and right clicking, you couldn't use any previous windows either.

MS will fail because computers become commodities. They've fought this tooth and nail, and Windows 8 is their latest attempt, but they'll lose that battle. Not yet, but they will.

Prophecy of the year. I don't care if MS will win or fail but, I find your prohetic prediction quite amusing.

The problem isn't that Microsoft are late to the game. The problem is that Microsoft are not playing the same game. They're too big for that playfield. What Microsoft needs is for people to keep upgrading computers (and thus OS'es) but that cycle is stagnating and will come very close to a stop.

Lesson taught: big things will fail, don't question that and don't think Windows 8 platform may be just as good as other platforms and IMO, if it fails it is more likely for the reason I mentioned not for your reasoning.

Corporations are not interested in upgrading because if what they have works, upgrading is a pure cost with zero benefit.

An overly generalized statement. By your logic, corporations should have never even switched to computers because it was pure costs. Does it make sense? They upgrade if they come to believe the benefit is worth the cost and at some point they may belive a fast modern touch screen interface or something else (whatever it is) is more productive than the ancient xp's they have.

Consumers upgrade only when their old machine no longer satisfies them, and five year old computers today are so good that people no longer have to upgrade - plus, a big chunk of the upgrade funds instead go to smartphones and tablets.

Again nobody can be certain which platform will eventually win. The dynamics of the market and psychology of the consumers are not entirely predictable and at any time, one of the available products may prove to be more popular because of a unique intriguing feature or, a new product from a new company may become increasingly popular. We can guess and we can become smarter and more reasonable in our guesses, we can never be certain about the future.

This leaves Microsoft without their big cash cow - OS and Office upgrade cycles. And if that happens, Steves head rolls. So he tries anything, including Windows 8, to keep that from happening. Unfortunately neither Microsoft nor anyone else knows how to keep users upgrading PC's. Apple solved it by creating a new market segment. Others solve it by selling services. Microsoft tries everything they can think of, good or bad. But the days of carving gold from PC upgrades are coming to a close.

Jesper

See above.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow