All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
thegammaray
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 11 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

If price is not an issue, SEL35 should get a serious consideration, and in fact for more than just low light capabilities. It is also an excellent focal length for off-center compositions with subject isolation due to larger aperture, as it is also very good in the corners wide open.

Yeah, maybe I should have qualified my Sigma recommendation. There's no doubt in my mind that the Sony 35 is both higher quality and more versatile, but I always make decisions (and recommendations) with price in mind. I think the Sigma is sharp enough that the extra money for the Sony isn't worth it, and the difference in low-light performance can be partially fixed by a tripod. You can buy both Sigmas and a great tripod for far less than the Sony 35.

But you're right: if the OP isn't worried about cash, the Sony 35 would probably be better than the Sigma 30, and they could just buy the Sigma 19 (and a tripod) alongside it.

thegammaray's gear list:thegammaray's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow