ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Zeiss Touit or Fuji X decision
May 10, 2013

Hi all,

I’ve been really enjoying my Nex-7 over the last year, especially with the Sony Zeiss 24mm lens on it. It served me well climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with the kit lens too. Yet I’m still really intrigued by the Fuji X-system.

I’ve pre-ordered both Zeiss Touit lenses. They are not cheap, as everyone knows, but my joy in photography comes from shooting great prime lenses and while I have legacy glass, I want good native glass too.

After seeing some samples of the Zeiss Touit images compared to the closest Fuji glass , I’m preferring the Fuji images. I realize these are just early snap tests and I see that the focus is different in some of the images. Yet it got me thinking that I really need to try Fuji for myself before I shell out all the cash for those Zeiss lenses.

I’ve ordered an X-E1 and the 35mm f/1.4 to do my own hands on testing. I won’t shoot lens charts and stuff. I’m going to carry my Nex-7 and my Fuji on a couple of outings and see which I really prefer and come to some conclusion before the Zeiss lenses ship.

Anyone else do such a comparison? I’d be interested in what you found. I’d also like to share my findings if others are interested, but I don’t want to start a Sony/Fuji pi$$Ing match. I don’t have vendor loyalty. They are tool providers and I look for the best tools for my needs. The latter part is important, since we are all different and have different photographic styles and preferences.

I see three possible outcomes.

1. I don’t like the Fuji and send it back before it’s 30-day return period.
  2. I love the Fuji and sell all my Nex gear to build out Fuji.
  3. I determine each has it’s place in my photography and I sell some of my Nex gear and get more Fuji lenses or at least don't buy the Zeiss lenses to build out some Fuji.

It should be interesting at least.

Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow