All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to trax87, May 10, 2013

trax87 wrote:

The Sigmas are a great bargain. I actually purchased them. However, after much consideration and after not using them and finding myself going to the kit zoom rather than either of the Sigmas on a brief vacation, i decided to return them.  I am still not certain that was the right thing to do and still think about buying them again, but I thought the money might be better spent on the Sony 35/1.8, which would be better at filling the lower light/"all rounder" gap that is missing with just the zooms.

Although I believe the Sony is a bit overpriced, it has an extra 1 1/3 stops, plus OSS, which should make it a good bit better for those hand held museum shots and lower light night scenes...

If price is not an issue, SEL35 should get a serious consideration, and in fact for more than just low light capabilities. It is also an excellent focal length for off-center compositions with subject isolation due to larger aperture, as it is also very good in the corners wide open.

There are very few situations when 35/1.8 isn't wide enough (perhaps a reason 50mm was "normal" for a kit lens on film SLRs), so you may simply stick with it for most part, and switch over to the kit zoom for wider angles. And at wider angles, the sensitivity to f-stop is lower (more so with OSS also at hand).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow