All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to thegammaray, May 10, 2013

The Sigmas are a great bargain. I actually purchased them. However, after much consideration and after not using them and finding myself going to the kit zoom rather than either of the Sigmas on a brief vacation, i decided to return them.  I am still not certain that was the right thing to do and still think about buying them again, but I thought the money might be better spent ,eventually, on the Sony 35/1.8, which would be better at filling the lower light/"all rounder" gap that is missing with just the zooms.

Although I believe the Sony is a bit overpriced, it has an extra 1 1/3 stops, plus OSS, which should make it a good bit better for those hand held museum shots and lower light night scenes where things aren't moving and at least somewhat better in lower light where there is movement (even though the OSS won't help there).  The other thing that nobody ever mentions is that if/when shooting Jpeg, the Sony lens has the benefit of in camera correction for distortion and chromatic aberration.  And doesn't the Sony lens use PDAF on the NEX 6 at larger apertures for quicker auto focus?   It doesn't hurt that I also have about $200 in Sony gift cards :-).

I also find it interesting that most of the people who say they use the Sigmas regularly instead of the kit lens seem to be those who have the 18-55 rather than the 16-50 pz.  Perhaps this is just my imagination, but I wonder if this is because the 16-50 is about as compact as the Sigma 30 and provides more flexibility, albeit at the expense of IQ.  Perhaps this a trade-off people seem willing to make?

Anyway, I think the Sigmas are great and I am still considering them (even after the return), but maybe it makes the most sense for me to just use the two zooms for a while and hold on to my wallet.  

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow