Printing from Aperture - Print Settings / Paper issue

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Printing from Aperture - Print Settings / Paper issue
In reply to Kevin G., May 10, 2013

It appears that your settings are appropriate from what you have said.  The paper settings in the printer driver that pops up last are merely controls for how much ink gets laid down on the paper. For instance, ir you choose Premium Glossy, the printer will lay down less total ink in order to not make a mess, and if you choose Matte, the printer will lay down more because the ink soaks into the surface of the paper.  So all you want to do is choose an option that is "close" to the surface you are printing on.  Also, I usually print at the 1440 dpi level, because I find that the 5760 setting does not look better, and just wastes ink.

If you currently have the Photo Black (PK) cartridge being used for printing, the print driver will not allow you to use any of the matte or fine art paper settings.  You must switch to the Matte Black cartridge to use these.

Most likely, the reason the print comes out a little darker than your screen image is twofold.  First, comparing a print which gets it's color from light reflecting off pigment vs. a screen which makes color by shining a light through colored pixels is never very accurate, with the print always looking slightly darker.  However, I have found that if you place a desk lamp with a daylight balanced CFL bulb facing down next to your monitor, and hold the print under the light, you will get a very accurate idea of how well the print matches the monitor.  The other issue you may be having is that you monitor is actually set a bit too bright.  Even though it's calibrated for color, if it is running too bright, then the prints will look too dark.  Well known phenomenon.

Also, are you using "Onscreen Proofing" in Aperture, and have you selected your paper ICC profile for proofing?

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow