Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
randallr
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus XZ-1: Manual White Balance Problem Underwater
May 10, 2013

I bought the XZ-1, Olympus's housing, and its UFL-1 strobe for underwater photography - and I love the setup. But I've got a very frustrating problem: In trying to shoot with available light, I am finding it near impossible to set the white balance manually underwater.

The "one touch white balance" operation worked perfectly on the surface (even allowing me to set “fake” white balances using a blue slate and a red slate), and worked with some trial and error up to about 25 feet below the surface. But below that depth, no matter how many times I tried to set it, I always got the same message: “WB Error, try again.”

In searching online, I found this was a known issue for scuba divers. (See, e.g., http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-outlet/407126-xz-1-white-balance.html). Has anyone found some secret touch that allows manual white balance to be set at depth? Or is there a workaround? All guidance is deeply appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow