Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,039Gear list
Like?
A good Florida Wetlands Day
May 10, 2013

Saturday this past weekend was a nice day to go out to the wetlands - the weather was hot, but a breeze kept it tolerable, and the transition from spring to summer meant a few migrating birds still around, a few summer regulars returning, lots of good BIF action, and even a few other animals active.  All shots A580 + Minolta 300mm F4 APO + APO II 1.4x TC.

This cute raccoon didn't budge as I came near him - I had to back up to get him in the frame - he was so intent on climbing the tree to get at the fruity berries that he didn't care about my presence at all

A young gator was sunning himself up on the shore of a little pond - keeping an eye on me in case he had to plunge into the water to get away

Always a fun challenge to catch these little missles in mid-air flight - purple martins buzz around at ridiculous speeds and change direction constantly

This lovely little guy is a northern parula, one of the last of the spring migrators hanging out in the area

Two young brothers - young least bitterns straying from their nest to try to learn some fishing for themselves

Always nice to see these big, powerful birds up close and in flight - great blue heron passing by

Here's a mother black-necked stilt having a rest...but the fun part is the wee little thing under her tail feathers

Comeon, this thing is just stupid-cute!  The baby black-necked stilt is one of the cutest chicks in the world

The always-beautiful and spectacular roseated spoonbill, really showing off his vivid pinks in flight against the blue sky

Here, a momma great blue heron has returned to the nest (on the right) and her three growing chicks are fighting to see who can get the food she has stored in her neck (the one in the back got the whole fish, by the way!)

I got to shoot with a fellow Dpreviewer on this day - Atgard met me there right about the time of the baby stilt shots.  It's always nice to meet fellow forum shooters out in the real world.

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.  I hadn't started a photo thread in a long time and just felt like it might be fun to share outside of the wildlife thread, for those who may not visit there as often.  And it was a nice day of shooting!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow