Apple's golden opportunity re Aperture: the possibility of Lightroom in the cloud

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
TeleView
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: Apple's golden opportunity re Aperture: the possibility of Lightroom in the cloud
In reply to richiebee, 11 months ago

I find the whole idea of subscription based software very offensive.

It's the way software used to be sold. When one bought an IBM networking computer system, you paid for it. But the software was an add on, and it was paid for annually, and it was expensive.

Of course, IBM had a monopoly on their software - it had to run on their own computers.

Well, Adobe have close to a monopoly in the Windows world. So they will get away with annual licensing. And perhaps, they may not have bothered, but for pirating.

I sure hope Apple continues with their model, and sell fairly cheap software that is excellent to use. However, Apple are a niche player in computers. And I think Apple still views their computer profits as being based upon hardware revenue.

And perhaps Apple's excellent Aperture software is what is keeping Adobe from promising to sell Lightroom as single sale software. Otherwise Apple could simply introduce Aperture into the Win world. But they want people to buy a Mac if they want to enjoy Aperture.

The profit has swung from hardware to software. And the big players IMO will not put up with pirating.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow