5R as backup/companion to NEX 7?

Started May 9, 2013 | Questions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?
Re: 5R as backup/companion to NEX 7?
In reply to OhioMom08, May 10, 2013

Hi,

I am pretty convinced that with good RAW conversion software there's little to choose between the 24 and 16M pixel sensors (I own and use a NEX-7 and a NEX-F3).

I use Lightroom and find its noise reduction does wonders for the NEX-7 RAW files. The DPR raw studio test images are IMHO a little misleading these days since they were processed using an older version of Adobe's raw processor.

If you haven't already, why not download the Lightroom trial and see it that improves NEX-7 high ISO for you. You can also download DPR's studio samples and process them yourself.

Here's what I found when I tried:

I do find a second body comes in handy. Often I use it to avoid changing lenses, or as a body to use for lenses (like the Samyang 8mm) that don't behave themselves on the NEX-7.

If you shoot JPG or strongly prefer another RAW processor then perhaps a 16M body will give you an advantage at high ISO. I can't really comment in this case as I only use Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow