Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: If true it's a good step, but Microsoft has other UI problems
In reply to raminolta, May 10, 2013

I don't really see why you think Windows 8 is solely designed for touch screens.

Try sliding from the top down without a touch screen and see how intuitive and easy it is compared to clicking on a screen button.

You, nor anyone else has ever brought a convincing argument that Win 8 is less efficient than the previous Windows for desktop usage.

No visual cues for where actions can be taken in the UI. That's a heavy cognitive load to push onto a user. The interface does not help you by being evident, it requires you to rote memorize corners and motions which have no real world analogs and which are non-obvious.

Tell me what previous windows with their start button can do that Win 8 cannot do?

Click on the start button to get a list of the programs installed on their computer.

IIMO, Win 8 is a hybrid OS designed to work for both desktop computers and touchscreen systems.

Which makes it bad for both. There is a reason Apple did not put OSX on the iPad nor iOS on their Macbooks.

I have never used it on a touchscreen so I cannot attest to how good it is for that. I have solely used it on my desktop and I find it better than the previous windows.

Your opinion is noted, as is the observation that it's in the minority.

There is only one thing: there is some vidsual incoherence when switching back and forth between the full screen
metro and desktop.

"Some". Understatement of the year.

Moreover, not having to navigate through tiny icons in the small start menu window in order to find and activate the application I want,( like in the past) is convenient and saves me time.

You have not had to navigate the start menu if you knew what you wanted to start in previous versions of Windows. However, in Windows 8 you are barred from examining what software is installed and be reminded of the name of it; you have to know what it's called or have it pinned in your Metro interface in order to find it. If you sit down at a colleague's computer you have no way of quickly discerning what software is installed on it.

This alone bars Windows 8 from serious consideration.

MS underestimated resistance from users who didn't like a rapid change in what they were used to see. But I doubt that will be a reason for MS to fail.

MS will fail because computers become commodities. They've fought this tooth and nail, and Windows 8 is their latest attempt, but they'll lose that battle. Not yet, but they will.

Whether these users are in the majority, I am not sure either. MS is late comparing to iOS and Android for about five years or so. In the age of Internet, five years is enough for masses to settle on the new idol (iphone or else) feeling they would be at serious loss if they didn't own one.

The problem isn't that Microsoft are late to the game. The problem is that Microsoft are not playing the same game. They're too big for that playfield. What Microsoft needs is for people to keep upgrading computers (and thus OS'es) but that cycle is stagnating and will come very close to a stop.

Corporations are not interested in upgrading because if what they have works, upgrading is a pure cost with zero benefit.

Consumers upgrade only when their old machine no longer satisfies them, and five year old computers today are so good that people no longer have to upgrade - plus, a big chunk of the upgrade funds instead go to smartphones and tablets.

This leaves Microsoft without their big cash cow - OS and Office upgrade cycles. And if that happens, Steves head rolls. So he tries anything, including Windows 8, to keep that from happening. Unfortunately neither Microsoft nor anyone else knows how to keep users upgrading PC's. Apple solved it by creating a new market segment. Others solve it by selling services. Microsoft tries everything they can think of, good or bad. But the days of carving gold from PC upgrades are coming to a close.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow