What's the best inexpensive last-gen µ4/3 buy?

Started May 10, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Max Archer
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
What's the best inexpensive last-gen µ4/3 buy?
May 10, 2013

I've been frustrated by the poor low-light performance of my GF2, even with the 20mm f/1.7, and I've been thinking about an upgrade for quite some time. With the fast product cycle in the µ4/3 world, there are lots of pretty recent cameras for very low prices available, and I've been very tempted to buy one as a replacement. A brand new current-generation body is more than I'd like to spend, as µ4/3 is a secondary system for me. (I have a full-frame Nikon setup, but it's pro bodies and lenses, which means not very practical for casual use.)

A small camera with a decent amount of manual control would be best. Decent video would be quite nice, and a microphone input would be a definite plus. A standard hotshoe is absolutely mandatory. Low-light performance is the area in which I'd most like to see an improvement. Resolution is not particularly a concern.

The GX1 would seem to be the best fit in terms of form factor, but I've been given the impression that the image quality is not exactly a quantum leap over the GF2. The G5 seems to be a pretty good deal these days too, but DXO would seem to indicate that it does worse in low light than the GX1 does. Are there Olympus options I should be looking at? (Taking into consideration that I'll be using the Panasonic 20 as my lens most of the time.)

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow