Primes vs Zooms

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: The best Pentax lenses are primes
In reply to Tim A2, May 10, 2013

Tim A2 wrote:

There seems to be agreement among Pentax owners that by far the best Pentax lenses are primes. In fact some of those primes have been put on a pedestal. I have read several comments similar to this, "there I was with my pancake lens surrounded by a bunch of Canikons with their honkin hugh lenses". For some reason my impression is that in the Canikon world primes just don't seem to be as highly regarded.

Tim

Pentax makes some good lenses, but understand, both Nikon and Canon make more prime lenses than does Pentax. More highend primes and more medium end primes and more inexpensive primes.

Tim, maybe you're not very knowledgeable concerning the "Canonikon world" and might be the reason for your ignorance on the subject. Do you really believe some guy was at some place surrounded by people with Nikons and Canons, all with large zoom lenses while he had a pancake? I think it could mean two things. One, maybe he was not where he was supposed to be and was surrounded by professionals; or Two, he might have had the wrong lens on for the subject and just then realized it.

Also, maybe the best Pentax lenses are prime lenses. That would mean they need to really start work on some good zoom lenses to go with them. A lopsided catalog can't make for a good selection of glass for Pentax owners.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow