Canon Flash Buying Advice - 430EX II? 580EX II? 600EX-RT? (newborn and woodworking shots)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SomervillainSteven
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Canon Flash Buying Advice - 430EX II? 580EX II? 600EX-RT? (newborn and woodworking shots)
11 months ago

Hello All,
I am a photography novice trying to improve my newborn and woodworking photos, mostly in indoor, intimate, low-light situations.  We have a warm colored taupe living room which doesn't reflect much light.  The photos have nice warm tones, but are a little dim and I'd like them to be more tack-sharp.  I suspect my 320EX may be underpowered.  The photos look horrible and bleached out when used directly, but look good when bounced off the ceiling.  My first son was born 2 weeks ago and I need to quickly learn how to improve my photographs. I have been researching all I can since we found out my wife was expecting.  However, it has been confusing for me and I probably should seek help since the clock is ticking.
I can afford any flash in Canon's consumer lineup.  It's a choice between the 430EX II, 580EX II, and 600EX-RT.  Since many, if not most, of you reading this have more wisdom and experience than I do, which should I go with?  The 430EX II seems fine, but I have some bad experiences of buying too cheap and regretting it later.  I can afford the 580 or 600, but it would sting the wallet a bit, especially if I never notice a difference.  However, I am going to deal with the pain under the theory you can't go back in time, so it's best to capture the moments to the best of my ability now.  I'll still use the 320 as a secondary flash on photos, especially woodworking shots.  
I am using the t4i with the 18-135mm stm and the 50mm macro lenses.  The biggest difference in my photographs occurred when I purchased the 320EX flash and have been either bouncing it off the ceiling or using a cable for off camera flash.  I am relying on a generic E-TTL cable similar to Canon's off the tripod and the awesome EzPhoto Componor ethernet E-TTL cable for tripod/stand work.

Any buying advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Steven

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow