skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,066Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8 shocker
In reply to digital ed, May 10, 2013

digital ed wrote:

skyglider wrote:

digital ed wrote:

Meanwhile, a daughter is buying my girlfriend a new laptop. She asked my advice and I said my GF would not be happy learning a new interface and she should buy a laptop with Win 7.

If the laptop has USB3 ports, suggest getting Win8 with it.  Win7 does not natively support USB3 but Win8 does.  Plus Win8 with the free Classic Shell runs on the desktop like a Pre-Win8 PC.

Actually, even if the laptop doesn't have USB3 ports, suggest getting Win8 and installing the Classic Shell.  Just disable "active corners" in the Classic Shell to disable annoying Win8 popups and your GF won't even know she's running Win8.  (As long as she doesn't open any Win8 apps which do a forced return to the Win8 UI.)

Win8 will boot and shutdown faster. Plus it even allows web browsers (and I believe other frequently used software) to load faster by remembering things, even using spinner hard drives. At least it seems to do that on my friend's Dell Win8 tower that uses a spinner hard drive.  (I'm running my Win8 on a SSD so it's fast anyway.)

Sky

Running Classic Shell on both Win 8 Pros that I have.

Ahhh, good moves.
Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow