Aperture beach ball on new iMac

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: i5 vs i7
In reply to msjhaffey, May 10, 2013

Some of this is just inherent in the "non-destructive" nature of adjustments in Aperture and Lightroom.  If you were to use a tool to clean up a file in a pixel editing program, each click to clear up a blemish would be instantly applied, and then the processor would not keep track of it anymore when you moved on to the next operation.  In Aperture and Lightroom, each of the adjustments is like a filter applied in real time to the real time converted RAW file.  So each time to add another adjustment to the "stack" of adjustments, it takes just that much more processor power to keep track of all the filters you have applied.  One strategy is to try to minimize the total number of adjustments you make to an individual file, and to not "duplicate" adjustments (some of the adjustment bricks do exactly the same thing as other adjustment bricks, but in a different paradigm).  Also, it is sometimes more effective, if you have a ton of smoothing, and blemish editing, etc., to just make a Tiff, send it to PS or Elements, and do all the nitpicky editing there.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow