First time shooting track and field event. Need some advice.

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jalmod90
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: First time shooting track and field event. Need some advice.
In reply to mdennis, May 9, 2013

mdennis wrote:

What event(s) are you shooting and what access do you have to the field. For running events with field access I mostly use 70-200 f2.8 at 200 on a 7D but for sprints/hurdles at finish line while 200 is OK 300 or even 400 would be better since you typically have to stand well behind finish line. . Things like high jump 70mm is sometimes too much and I'll use 17-55 in the 50-55 range. Pole vault also depending on position. Long/triple jump if you're right behind the pit your 24-105 should be OK. Throwing events 200mm is usually plenty.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dennis

I wish I had access to the great whites, but I do not unfortunately. When you shoot the high jumps are you usually below all of the action (kneeling down,etc)? Or are you standing as they are usually jumping above you? Pole Vaulting sounds tricky as position may make or break a photo. I am correct in assuming so? I think I'm going to have to look at various photos of various events and take notes.

-- hide signature --

"In the Internet age, the bathroom is now the photography studio.In the film age, the bathroom was the developing lab.
And before the film age, I guess it was just the outhouse." - Anonymous

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow