Adobe subscription/upgrade question?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bflood
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to redhed17, 11 months ago

I know there are alternatives for reading Nikon RAW files, but I haven't invested any time into checking them out (we amateurs are like that).  When I got the D7000 and tried to open the first files in CS4, CS4 couldn't do anything with them. I checked at Adobe online for a suitable patch and found none, so I called them. I was politely informed there isn't any way to open a D7000 file in CS4 and there won't be - I needed to buy the newest version - would I like to use a credit card for that?

Major turn off to abandon customers like that.  Digital Equipment built themselves into the dominant mini-computer company in the 70s and early 80s and adopted the same approach - keep buying a never-ending string of updates or get disconnected from all service. During the first really big boom in computers in this country they managed to ride that approach into extinction. Adobe has created for themselves the opportunity to do the same.

I started using the ViewNX2 that came with the camera because ...  well, it came with the camera.  It allows a simple output of a file in 8 or 16 bit TIF, so I used it.  Months later, Santa gave me a copy of PS Elements 11, which opens the D7000 files nicely.  If it gets to be obsolete in some fashion, I'll be looking at non-Adobe products for a replacement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow