Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,993
Like?
Re: Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?
In reply to CraigBennett, May 9, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

Most any photographer in business for a few years have a hobbled together collection of equipment.  I've been professional photographer since 1997, shooting since 1972...I have gear from 1936.  So what's your point?  I do not consider a select collection of equipment that works well together...hobbled together. (I owned a studio for 12 years, had a lot of light equipment...this is not new to me.)

You don't have it yet, you're not using it yet and so you're judging purely on hearsay and expectations. Its often a good idea to actually use stuff before recommending or condemning it.

I have seen no real negative reviews on Paul C Buff.  I am an electrical engineer as well (retired).  He brought low-cost, well build lighting equipment to the market place.  You and others sound like that is a sin.   The reviews I've seen on PCB's service department is outstanding, yet here and other boards, I see complaints on Quantum's service repair pricing and upfront costs.

And where would I have said anything like that? My point has been that you are assembling a system consisting of - different flash manufacturers and different radio manufacturers. You even go on to state that the lighting you 'don't have yet' will have better colour balance than what you already have. Point being? That what you don't have yet will be better than what you do have.. and..?

My point is - if you were to really think about it - you'd buy a lighting system which catered for all your needs with matching colour balance and all the modes you require so that you didn't need to compromise.

As an owner of about ten Quantum heads and having used them numerous times on numerous occasions in numerous locations, been soaked by rain and dunked in cement cyclones and them being battered around in cases over numerous miles travelling and erected and packed away again, again, again.. I will point out two things:

Good.  I too used Speedlights for years with several different models working flawlessly with my Nikon cameras.  Never had one break or damaged along the way.  BTW, how did your camera fair in that environment?

My cameras fair extremely well. My SB800's have too, but I dont complain about their colour balance, only their limited output.

1) The TTL facility you seem fond to own by way of your 900 and 910 speedlight ownership continues with the Quantum system all the way up to 400Ws which you will lose with any other system forcing you into lighting decisions limited by your equipment (in)capabilities - and not by your choice. The Quantum's cost more - but for that you do ACTUALLY get more.

Not that fond of TTL, but it has it's uses though.  Glad the Quantums carry that on.  When I need more than 400WS, I don't use TTL.  That was the question that the OP was asking.  There are many times I've used my 1200WS monolights with my trusty lightmeters.  To me, 400WS is limited as well, might as well use 4 or 5 speedlights.

I do not advocate that Speedlights are the only solution.  I think they fill a good niche and provide a good service for what they are designed to do.

The OP was asking about metering a 150Ws unit - a T5d-R. If you were to need more than 400Ws in TTL - you'd be pretty hard pressed to find such a thing as none exists. As to 4-5 speedlights together for TTL - your objection to Quantum equipment was expense, I thought your primary concern was keeping stuff cheap? 4-5 speedlights plus ancillaries to make them work don't fall into that category.

Yep, the SB-900 design is weak.  An external powerpack will stop that overheating though.  I much preferred the SB-800.   Same GN, if not a little more powerful.  My SB-910's are okay, alway use an external pack with them.

Trios never overheat.

"Same GN, if not a little more powerful" - You'll really have to explain that one.

I might add that your approach is typical of lots of people going the... Speedlight.. another Speedlight.. another Speedlight.. TTL triggers.. more Speedlights.. add a studio flash.. route. Your limiting factor initially is your Speedlights' inadequate output - which you bought TTL triggers for.. then, based on your underpowered speedlights and your desire to compensate their inadequacies by increasing their output - you are now deciding your next purchase based on the radio solution to your original problem, your (inadequate) speedlights. I don't think thats a basis for any impartial look at any lighting requirements, its just a consequential result.

There is nothing wrong with Speedlights.  100k's have been sold and used everyday.  Far more than anything Quantum has sold.  Some of you sound like it is a sin to use one of these.  There is a point you must say no more to Speedlights though, and that point for me is 3.  When I need more power, I use my monolights.  Now, I will add an Einstein to my equipment list for 600WS of camera adjusted lighting.  It's portable, excellent color stability, darn fast switching, low cost....so what's wrong with this?

Some folks just need to have one system....and that seems to be you.  Nothing wrong with that, but you pay the price for that and you are locked into that one company's future.  I have three manufacture's light systems.....all work fine with each other.

Nothing wrong with Speedlights apart from - basically underpowered - overheating - colour balance (your gripe) - expense to run a decent output with multiple units.. and the time, effort and expense it takes to set this up.

Speedlights are not a sin, they have their uses but there are far better lighting solutions available which don't leave you wanting after you've just bought the Speedlight.

Did I say I only had one system? I don't think I did. I use Quantum's on location for their output, portability and versatility. In the studio I use something completely different.

Your objections to Quantum were expense and reliability - So far, I'm seeing no evidence of this anywhere.

Cost?? Those PW's are expensive. It's a pity that none of them include a focus assist for that extra cost. It's a good job the D800e has a focus assit light on the body otherwise you'll forever need to use your SB9xx's on top of your transmitter to be able to focus on many occasions.

Yep, they are costly, no argument there, so is Quantum.  That is not correct on focus assist,  I don't use focus assist,  I shoot with my Nikon in AF-C mode and Focus Assist is disabled in that mode.  I don't have a problem with the D800e focusing in almost complete darkness, but if I do, have a little LED light I always carry with me.

I would prefer to use only the SB-910 on my camera with no supplement lighting.  With high ISO, low noise camera's this is now possible.  This is the mode I am now working in.  So this is a mute argument.

Yes, its useful to be able to change the 'mode' you work in. I chose to use Quantum's because I could chose the 'mode' I wanted to work in throughout a greater range of output and in whatever situation occurred. It seems that people like to quote their like of versatility when it suits them, yet ignore it when they don't have it.

That little LED light sounds cute, you should have words with PW to build one into their transmitters, you wouldn't need to carry one then. That'd be a really good and sensible idea.

SB910 in a hotshoe using an external battery - where does your radio go to trigger your new to arrive E640? Will you be needing to swap these out continually - or have you not thought about this yet?

EDIT:

... "Colour white balance 'all over the place' with my SB910" - but I don't suppose you'll be proposing to use your E640 on your hotshoe when you get it, or relegating the 910's to the 'never use them bag' will you?

A lot of it is the venue's I'm shooting, the wall paint used and my experimenting with high ISO with the Flashbender.  This week I plan to run a couple of tests to see if my SB-910's are really all over the place.  I suspect that the last venue I shot in and the fact that I choose not to light up the reception like daylight is the reason I had this issue.  It was easy enough to correct in post though.

The SB910 equivalent in Quantum speak is the Trio. 80Ws, 150Ws, 200Ws, 400Ws Quantum versions are all the same colour balance.

What's the spec's on their color balance?

The colour balance throughout the Quantum range is all the same.

After your statement about the colour balance of your SB910's being all over the place I'd have thought that you would have plotted their difference with a colour flash meter to calculate their variance. With what you're doing, I can see obviously this isn't the case and is purely user error on your part.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow