Hugh Robateau
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re: Adobe RAW conversion and export to file and import to PS6
In reply to Bajerunner, May 9, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51418572  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

Cheers!

One alternative to keep your PS6 working as it needs for new cameras in future, is to get a third party RAW converter or Nikon RAW converter, use those for RAW files, then export as a TIF and import to PS6 as a TIF and bingo you are good.

Advantages of Nikon Raw -

-Nikon will have to sell / give a RAW converter with their cameras and update for new cameras. Simple, they cant sell a hunk of metal and electronics and the consumer cant process photos. So, point one for using Nikon RAW conversion.

- Profiles already automatically in photos by their own RAW converter, so things remain 'true' when you import. Then you export the 'already corrected' file as a TIF for use by PS6. Saves profiling hassle. Score two for Nikon software.

Advantages of free software like RAW Therapee (version 4 just came out):

- its free!!!!!

- seem to have plenty of adjustment tools and good output (RAW Therapee 4 is impressive)

Take your choice, but your PS6 module is safe for now. Some mention that an operating system upgrade on a computer may make it not work in some years...maybe, but I cant comment on that.

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

That's exactly what I have been doing like since forever. Never used Camera Raw or Lightroom for conversion so I skipped many Photoshop versions. After all, for most photographers a lot of PS features are overkill. Just use a third party converter and then export to your preferred version of PS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow