All purpose lens set for beginner?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
sjredo
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens set for beginner?
In reply to trax87, May 9, 2013

trax87 wrote:

I consider myself a beginner photographer and most certainly a beginner with respect to interchangeable lenses.  I was going to buy a DSLR when upgrading from a P&S, but as a good bit of my photos are taken either when traveling or when just out for the day I thought a NEX made more sense because of the size, weight (especially) and convenience and so I went that route.  I do really like my NEX 6.

It was suggested to me that a good initial set of lenses for a beginner would be a fast zoom (e.g., f/2.8 18-50) a telephoto (e.g., 70-200)  preferably with a max aperture around F4 and maybe a macro lens.  This makes some sense to me as It would cover in a general way most typical shooting situations and then someone could get specialized lenses based upon their learned shooting preferences.

I have the kit 16-50 pz and the 55-210 tele zoom.  Unfortunately neither of these lenses are fast and the are no E mount zoom lenses that are faster that I am aware of.  For a beginner on a NEX system, what would be considered a good "get you feet wet" set of lenses?

Um, I really don't think there will ever be a F4 tele zoom for NEX... look at Fujis new one, its 4.8 and its pretty massive...

If you're looking for fast lenses, they'll have to be primes at the moment... SEL50, SEL35 and such. Theres a new 85mm OSS coming second half of the year.

If you really want "fast" small tele lenses, Panasonic has 12-35 & 35-100 (both F/2.8) but thats only on m4/3.

If not, you can always adapt Alpha lenses to NEX and get non-stabilized, bulky fast zooms

sjredo's gear list:sjredo's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow