Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop Elements for MAC

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,750
Like?
Re: Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop Elements for MAC
In reply to Steve Cohan, May 9, 2013

Steve Cohan wrote:

I bought an iMac about 2 years ago, used it for one week and never have used it since. I upgraded the Snow Leopard yesterday so that I could use it for Facetime. While doing this I noticed how much better the display is in comparison to my Windows based system. As a result I would like to use the Mac for post processing. What is the difference between Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. Adobe is offering specials on both. Or, do you have another recommendation?

Aperture is Apple's competitor to Lightroom. I would choose it first on the Mac. Elements is a consumer version of Photoshop and may be worth purchasing if you want to do more elaborate manipulation of images but 99% of what I need to do to images can be done by Aperture and I assume Lightroom. You do your RAW conversions when the images are imported the program works as an image catalogue and it allows you to do many manipulations of color balance, noise, spot removal, exposure adjustments, etc. It also accepts pug-ins like Topaz for higher levels of noise reduction or other types of things. All the adjustments done in Aperture (or Lightroom) are fully reversible and not sensitive to in what order they are applied to the image. Of course you can also do all the cropping, straightening and printing steps, using a local printer or printing on-line as well as making books.

Lightroom costs more but it can also do a few things Aperture does not. These things may or may not be important to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow