A New Large Sensor PowerShot Coming

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Peter Berglund
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Re: A New Large Sensor PowerShot Coming
In reply to justmeMN, May 9, 2013

As for point-and-shoots Canon, like every other camera brand, realizes that people's main everyday camera is their phone. But most folks will want to own a better camera as well when they need either zoom or better IQ for whatever reason.

I feel that the current S90, S95, S100, S110 series has come to the end of the road as other compact PoS cameras continue to evolve. For an S120 (defined as $3-400 ultra compact, with PATM, RAW and larger sensor) it won't be enough to have digic 6 and better wifi. The sensor which once was so large for an ultra compact doesn't feel large in the current competition and the lens isn't fast enough either to stand out going forward.

Therefore, it needs some real changes while price can't go up. . Lens would have to improve, which probably would make it larger . But for a size increase to be accepted it would take something else too. APS-C could be that for that "killer IQ ultra compact". VF perhaps too but probably not as only additional feature. I doubt they will extend the zoom in this camera family any further.

Just my $0.02...
--
Peter

Peter Berglund's gear list:Peter Berglund's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow