Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Nikon iTTL let you wirelessly control flash power levels?
In reply to CraigBennett, May 9, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

Yes, very similar....Nikon's CLS flash system.  No radios needed (works the same with a radio) This is my point as well.  But the die hard's refuse to acknowledge this.

I can set my remote flashes using the CLS in TTL, A, Manual, or off.  Does not get any simpler than that.  And with the low noise, high ISO provided in our newer camera's, 2 external Speedlights setup in most all receptions are sufficient.  Even on-camera hotshoe flash seems to do a good job now.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

I've only attended 2 weddings where the shooter had to resort to bringing up the rooms ambient with bounced monolight(s). Surely its style and venue dependent. The only other field use I've witnessed was in staged/formal settings.

While the DPR mantras of 'expose to the right' and 'manual' is the only acceptable camera/flash modes most of my shooting is candid which generally gives me <15sec to setup and fire off a shot leaving no time to play with power levels and other settings.

If the subject(s) don't notice me setting up the shot they surely notice once my flash(es) go off leaving me ~0-1 chance of getting another one off before the 'Kodak moment' expires or the subject gets bored.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow