Primes vs Zooms

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
Re: Primes vs Zooms
In reply to Windancer, May 9, 2013

Hey Terry,

Not sure if you can tell..but I was having a bit of fun with this question. In truth, lenses today are quite good. Both zooms and primes. Are primes better? Yes..much better like I said, but most people are not able to notice the difference. Here are a few reasons: Display size (print or monitor), electronic corrections for geometric and aberrations, vibration reduction and technique.

To value a good quality prime, you need near perfect conditions starting with good technique. Start with a solid tripod and head, high MP body, aperture that does not induce diffraction over pixel size, manual focus at 10x live view, use mirror lockup and let camera settle for 4-6 seconds, take a few different exposures, edit then print on very high quality paper or canvas.

This is just a example but my point is simple: Most photographers that are not able to extract every drop of performance from zooms will never notice the performance gain from a better and simpler lens design. Im not pointing you out, talking about photographers in general.

I'll add one more twist to this. Great technique does not make a good photograph..it does not capture the moment if that is what is needed.

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow