Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Nikon iTTL let you wirelessly control flash power levels?
In reply to mbloof, May 9, 2013

mbloof wrote:

I don't know if the Nikon system can do this, but one of the bonuses of the Canon eTTL2 system is that I can control remote flash mode and the power of the flashes remotely from a in camera menu- pretty cool I don't have to be drop-raising light stands+modifiers.

eTTL + ratios + FEC or switch them to manual and set each group individually - all via the camera menu. The less expensive flashes without wireless TTL control can't do this - raise-lower light stands to get to the settings.

My 3 Canon EX speedlights allow me to use two bodies with flashes installed and have one spare in the bag.

I'd check if the iTTL system can do this sort of thing, for you it may be worth the extra cost if it can.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

Yes, very similar....Nikon's CLS flash system.  No radios needed (works the same with a radio) This is my point as well.  But the die hard's refuse to acknowledge this.

I can set my remote flashes using the CLS in TTL, A, Manual, or off.  Does not get any simpler than that.  And with the low noise, high ISO provided in our newer camera's, 2 external Speedlights setup in most all receptions are sufficient.  Even on-camera hotshoe flash seems to do a good job now.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow