Is it better for me to shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW if I dont do any PP?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
RAW is better, JPEG may be fine
In reply to Smiller4128, May 9, 2013

Smiller4128 wrote:

I don't really believe in using any PP software to alter an image too much. If I do, it's to lighten/darken certain parts of an image or to enhance the color a tad if it's been brought down by haze and such. I'm wondering though if maybe I'm better off using JPEG as opposed to RAW since the camera will automatically makes adjustments to the image? Or am I still better off shooting RAW?

JPEG is better if you have memory concerns or if you want faster and more sustained bursts; otherwise RAW offers everything that JPEG does for a minimal amount of extra work.  RAW+JPEG offers both at the expense of even more memory.  I started shooting JPEG and now that I make use of LR I'm somewhat disappointed that those RAW files are gone forever.

What I don't understand is the reluctance to use PP software to alter an image.  I can understand the objection to pixel-level editing, but what's your objection to RAW development?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow