Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,987
Like?
Re: Should I go TTL or Manual w/Lightmeter?
In reply to CraigBennett, May 9, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

I'm getting ready to order the following this week: ..........

<snip>

The two main arguments I have against the Quantum's are:

1) Cost versus power

2) Maintenance cost for repairs over their life.

When you eventually get a lighting system cobbled together by taking aspects from numerous different company's and you DO get a chance to experience the use of that and the "Maintenance cost for repairs over their life" - assuming you DO buy some lighting AND you do incur some cost over their lifetime... let us know what you find out after you have ACTUALLY used that system.

As an owner of about ten Quantum heads and having used them numerous times on numerous occasions in numerous locations, been soaked by rain and dunked in cement cyclones and them being battered around in cases over numerous miles travelling and erected and packed away again, again, again.. I will point out two things:

1) The TTL facility you seem fond to own by way of your 900 and 910 speedlight ownership continues with the Quantum system all the way up to 400Ws which you will lose with any other system forcing you into lighting decisions limited by your equipment (in)capabilities - and not by your choice. The Quantum's cost more - but for that you do ACTUALLY get more.

2) I've had one breakage over around six years with the Quantum's, the maintenance cost was $0 as I was supplied a spare part FOC. Had I in fact experienced some breakages in this time, then I would have felt them well deserved considering the use they get.

And good luck too.. my SB900 overheated BEFORE I even managed to use it on a shoot (in association with PW ControlTL). I've had, used and discarded both those in the past.

I might add that your approach is typical of lots of people going the... Speedlight.. another Speedlight.. another Speedlight.. TTL triggers.. more Speedlights.. add a studio flash.. route. Your limiting factor initially is your Speedlights' inadequate output - which you bought TTL triggers for.. then, based on your underpowered speedlights and your desire to compensate their inadequacies by increasing their output - you are now deciding your next purchase based on the radio solution to your original problem, your (inadequate) speedlights. I don't think thats a basis for any impartial look at any lighting requirements, its just a consequential result.

Cost?? Those PW's are expensive. It's a pity that none of them include a focus assist for that extra cost. It's a good job the D800e has a focus assit light on the body otherwise you'll forever need to use your SB9xx's on top of your transmitter to be able to focus on many occasions.

EDIT:

... "Colour white balance 'all over the place' with my SB910" - but I don't suppose you'll be proposing to use your E640 on your hotshoe when you get it, or relegating the 910's to the 'never use them bag' will you?

The SB910 equivalent in Quantum speak is the Trio. 80Ws, 150Ws, 200Ws, 400Ws Quantum versions are all the same colour balance.

-- hide signature --

Ian.
http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk
Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow