Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
unknown member
(unknown member)
Re: Adobe RAW conversion and export to file and import to PS6
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  -  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

One alternative to keep your PS6 working as it needs for new cameras in future, is to get a third party RAW converter or Nikon RAW converter, use those for RAW files, then export as a TIF and import to PS6 as a TIF and bingo you are good.

Advantages of Nikon Raw -

-Nikon will have to sell / give a RAW converter with their cameras and update for new cameras. Simple, they cant sell a hunk of metal and electronics and the consumer cant process photos. So, point one for using Nikon RAW conversion.

- Profiles already automatically in photos by their own RAW converter, so things remain 'true' when you import. Then you export the 'already corrected' file as a TIF for use by PS6. Saves profiling hassle. Score two for Nikon software.

Advantages of free software like RAW Therapee (version 4 just came out):

- its free!!!!!

- seem to have plenty of adjustment tools and good output (RAW Therapee 4 is impressive)

Take your choice, but your PS6 module is safe for now. Some mention that an operating system upgrade on a computer may make it not work in some years...maybe, but I cant comment on that.

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow