Is it better for me to shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW if I dont do any PP?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,975Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it better for me to shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW if I dont do any PP?
In reply to Smiller4128, May 9, 2013

Smiller4128 wrote:

I don't really believe in using any PP software to alter an image too much. If I do, it's to lighten/darken certain parts of an image or to enhance the color a tad if it's been brought down by haze and such. I'm wondering though if maybe I'm better off using JPEG as opposed to RAW since the camera will automatically makes adjustments to the image? Or am I still better off shooting RAW?

I shoot RAW exclusively and find that if there is an opportunity to edit a bit in post I always do it.  I would have to shoot jpeg to not do it.    Even still, the question becomes which processing you prefer, if you like how Lightroom processes your RAW files better than how the in camera stuff works, then shoot raw, import to LR and export, done.  That's a lot like shooting jpg+raw except that you don't use as much memory card space.    It does still offer you the advantage of making exposure corrections, etc for stuff if you want.  If you are going to lighten/darken at all you are better off shooting RAW because it retains the full dynamic range that your sensor can produce, where jpg encodes down to 8 bits compressed.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow