The beauty of the bouncing built in flash...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: I agree, some people are really odd
In reply to Hen3ry, 11 months ago

Hen3ry wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

The silly little accessory flash handed out by Olympus is a sick joke.

Why is it a sick joke ?

Its supplied simply for use as a commander and the odd bit of fill, it works very well.

Because it is not built in and it can’t be bounced like the GX1 can. Mostly because it is not built in.

The idiocy of it is made clear that the two bottom end cams, the PM1/2 and PL3/5 do not have it -- yet they are supposed to be aimed (particularly the PM1/2) at people moving up from P&S where built-in flash is the rule. So they move up to m43 and find no built-in flash.

Then the E-P3 -- the top of the PEN line -- has built-in flash!

On top of that, the E-M5 does not have built-in flash although all its direct competitors in m43 and APS-C DSLR do have built-in flash.

The accessory flash is a damned nuisance to carry around and fit when you want a bit of flash.

If it was a good idea, everyone would be doing it and in particular -- Olympus would do it for every one of their cameras both in the m43 line and in P&S. Of course they don’t because it is a damn fool idea.

I bet the E-M6 will have a built-in flash.

Some people leave it on the camera all the time and its not hassle attaching it just in case its needed.

Some really odd people might do this, but then they have to take it off for 99 shots out of 100 because the VF2 needs the accessory shoe and it really is needed!

And its better to use a small diffuser than trying to bounce a tiny unit of a ceiling.

Oh come on! So now we need to carry the silly little accessory flash and a diffuser too?

As I said in my original post -- bouncing the little flash is a bonus; the important thing is that it is built-in.

Of course, an E-P5 with a built-in EVF -- really picking up on the tradition of the PEN F/FT after which it is styled -- would be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Cheers, geoff

"Some really odd people might do this, but then they have to take it off for 99 shots out of 100 because the VF2 needs the accessory shoe and it really is needed!"

Some of us have the built in EVF, now its hardly any trouble carrying that little flash, it lives in its own little pouch attached to the camera strap.

"Oh come on! So now we need to carry the silly little accessory flash and a diffuser too?"

That is entirely up to you, but as for me, I try to resist bouncing of ceilings.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow