Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Our vulnerabilities re Adobe
May 9, 2013

I will go a long ways before I rent software.  That out of the way...

Lightroom is for now exempt (as is Elements).  However, I now realize my vulnerability.  They've been dropping the price of Lightroom.  Is that to get more people hooked and then go "cloud" with it?

It is almost trivial to change image editing programs, but to change databases?  Almost impossible.  No one reads Adobe metadata stuff.  We would have to export everything and we would lose all catalog features.  (metadata including keywords would be saved, but not keyword structure). I have over 100,000 images in my catalog.

I will use Lightroom as long as I can.  I don't need to upgrade PS (I'm at CS6) because Lightroom reads RAW files and SO FAR they will let us continue to upgrade Lightroom so I can even buy new cameras.  I don't even use PS for much except content aware fill features for cleanup, layers, and to hold plug-ins.  We used to need it for layers, but you can now go direct from Lightroom to Perfect Layers and use all of the Perfect Suite tools.

But this forum reminded me of other vulnerabilities.  PSD and DNG.  I do have quite a few PSD files (should have chosen TIFF, huh?).  I don't have any DNG yet but I was thinking of trying out their new DNG.  Now I think not... We've learned they are not a trustworthy partner.

Interesting to see that not only for me but for many other people this change at Adobe has gotten us to think about whether we really want, or need, to be with Adobe or not.  I have other Adobe products as well, but I can live with the versions I have indefinitely.

What is this cloud thing anyway?  20GB?  My memory cards are larger than that!  For kicks I tried to find out how much more storage would cost.  They will decide later.  What it does mean is that if they think you haven't paid your monthly fee, your programs will immediately stop working.  Which has already happened to people if you read the blog where people are bitching about the creative cloud.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow