Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
M43 and DOF with a fast lens
May 8, 2013

I realize that a full frame camera will give as much control in extended DOF, and will give greater control over limited DOF at wider apetures...but my question is when is enough? If limited DOF is your bag? Here is a temporary candid picture from an EPL1 and a Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 at 1.4 ( manual focus doesn't bother me - had lots of practice at it). You'll see that only one eye is in focus. Can we in the real world use much less DOF?

Yes a FF gives a different rendering and more control over DOF...but certain EFLs are effective for portraits are they not? And others for other situations.

Yes a FF gets more total liight (and generally less noise with a similarly designed sensor at the same settings), but sometimes with a fast lens a M43 gets enough. Even one with an older less efficient sensor. I'm not drawing any conclusions, you can draw your own.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow