Kauii location recommendations

Started May 4, 2013 | Questions thread
fishingman
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Kauii location recommendations
In reply to hewhosculpts, May 8, 2013

As already mentioned...if you are an adventurous traveler pick up a copy of the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, you won't be disappointed.  It will give you great directions with accompanying maps to all the must see sights, as well as great diversions off the beaten path.  I've travelled to Kauai twice recently, and the island has a wonderful vibe with warm friendly people.  I would highly suggest setting out an itinerary if you like to squeeze the most out of your time there.  Travel times are deceiving, and I had good luck staying in Kapa'a, which locates you centrally between the North and South shores.  Here's a quick list of highlights that I found the most stunning.

Waimea Canyon (the obvious attraction on the island, but make sure you take Hwy 550 out of Waimea which will hug along the canyon for a few miles before meeting up with the main Kokee rd.)

Kalalau Valley overlook (after touring Waimea canyon continue into Kokee Park and keep going until the road dead ends at the overlook).

Polihale State park (I rank this as the most beautiful beach area on the island, isolated and a wonderful spot for a late in the day picnic with sunset.  Large sugar sand dunes with the Napali cliffs dropping into the ocean.  Access road is gravel and a bit bumpy...but travelable by regular car.  Drive is well worth the solitude and views.)

Wailua Falls (just drive right up to the falls and enjoy, can get busy!)

Haena State Park (as far as you can go by car on the North Shore....beautiful beach with towering mountains looming right behind you, another great sunset spot, although typically crowded.  This is where the famous Kalalau Trail starts, despite the rather bumpy start, highly suggest hiking at least a portion of it....unforgettable).

If you prefer to tour by car, Kauai offers some great opportunities for drive up sightseeing.  If you however are willing to put in some legwork, the island really opens up amazing sights with a bit of hiking.  Chalk it up as a once in a lifetime experience, but if you have a bluebird day and the central mountains are relatively cloud free, seriously consider a helicopter tour.  A birds-eye view of all the inaccessible waterfalls and interior mountains is something you will never forget!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow