Aperture beach ball on new iMac

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,582Gear list
Like?
i5 vs i7
In reply to msjhaffey, May 8, 2013

msjhaffey wrote:

3.2GHz Intel Core i5 (the second fastest processor currently available).

The GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB memory.

-- hide signature --

Sean
www.seanhaffey.co.uk

Hate to break it to you, but despite the high clock speed, your Core i5 is substantially less powerful than a Core i7. On desktops (but not laptops), i5 lacks Hyperthreading. With an i7, Hyperthreading effectively doubles the number of cores, so on multi-core operations, an i7, even one with a lower clock speed, is faster than an i5. Aperture makes good use of multiple cores, so benefits from Hyperthreading.

Have you tried my suggestion to temporarily turn off other adjustment bricks when brushing? If you've already applied a bunch of adjustments, this makes a huge difference.

My biz partner has a D800e, and he reports that Aperture is a bit slow on some actions with those huge RAW files on his 2.6GHz quad-core i7 15" rMBP, but still better than Lightroom. For our event and portrait work, he actually prefers his D700 because it's more resource-efficient and still delivers all the resolution we need. His D800e is now relegated to DX format telephoto use, as this gives him extra reach and 15MP files.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow