6D vs 7D --- Image Quality (there's no comparison)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 11,777Gear list
Like?
Depends...
In reply to mariadc, 11 months ago

At higher iso, the 6D has about a 2 stop advantage.  So, if you need a lot of high iso work, then the 6D could be a better bet.  If you reside in the 100 to 400... and maybe 800 iso range....a range where most shooting normally occurs, the differences vanish.  I know in my case I can obtain clean 3200 11x14 prints for wedding albums.  So obviously the limits run higher than 800.

The best thing for you to do would be to download the raw samples from the Imaging Resource test site.  There are numerous comparison shots to work with.  This is what I do a fair bit to get a grasp of what the real world benefits are.  In my case, for landscape work, there is no resolution or dyanmic range advantage in the 6D.  I ran a few crops from processed 16x24, 20x30 and 30x45  prints.  In print, where it matters, there was no visible difference.  The few people I have shown could not see any difference.

The 5D3 is a different matter as the rez difference may become visible in some circumstances.  But for most of what I do, if any difference shows , it is only on a 100% screen view from 12".  As my clients dont get full rez copies of my work, this would never matter.  To measurebators, pixel peepers, and delerious fanboys, it may make a difference.  I try to cater to the real world....not fantasy.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow