Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Silvtegen
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Sold my RX100 - this is why
May 8, 2013

First post, just some of my thoughts on photography related to the RX100.

I just sold my RX100 due to me rethinking photography as a hobby. I just don’t want to capture everything around me. I want to make art, take important photographs of subjects that matter to me in the best way possible.

Don’t get me wrong, the RX100 is by far the best compact camera available but I guess my demands are a little higher. Also, technically I was annoyed by the yellow to green tint that was very visible in my blond boy’s hair. They don’t have green hair in real life, only in RX100 photos. Also I found the noise reduction or lack of detail at higher ISO to be subpar. And yes I shot raw and tried both DXO and Adobe for best details but I guess you can’t squeeze more out of that small sensor. The retractable zoom and fiddly small buttons didn’t make things better. The movie quality is one thing I will miss.

My main camera is the 5D Mark II and my main lens is the 24-70/2.8. Admittedly not an easy kit to carry but my reasoning is the following. When I take photographs I want to them to be of the best possible quality. I mainly take pictures of my kids and I want those pictures to last for a lifetime. I want them to be artistic have depth (bokeh) and have a value beyond capturing the scene. That’s what I get with the full-frame sensor.

The idea with the RX100 was the buzzword “the best camera is the one you have with you”. I bought the RX100 so that I wouldn’t miss a moment and to be able to record more memories from my family. In hindsight I created image inflation. I had 100+ of uninteresting pictures of mediocre quality of my kids eating, playing is the yard, etc.

The RX100 is small indeed but with a bag it’s not really that pocketable, especially not summertime without a jacket. So I ended up leaving it at home too. My iphone is always with me though, and I mean always. With the iphone I will still be able to capture those extremely rare moment when a camera present is invaluable. Like when a spaceship arrives or Godzilla walks down the street. And then, image quality will be secondary.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow