Recommendations for Photo trip to Tasmania, Australia

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dags
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383
Like?
6 days way to short to cover Tasmania.....
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 8, 2013

Brian de Cambra wrote:

Hi all with knowledge of Tasmania. I am doing a photo trip to Tasmania (6 days) very shortly and would like any advice on "must see/photo" places. I will have transport, therefore can get almost anywhere apart from dedicated 4wd tracks.

All suggestions welcome.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Hi Brian, I've done 3 trips to Tassie. 1st trip was 15 days & felt like we were rushing everywhere to try to see everything. 2nd trip was 10 days & just went to some selected highlites & last trip January this year was only 4 days just to cover a couple of faverourite spots. With only 6 days you need to select a few highlites to visit. You can forget about trying to cover all of Tasmania in 6 days. I would consider 14 days bare minimum to try to cover everything.

With only 6 days you need to pick just a couple of highlites, which is difficult if you havent been there before. My suggestion, a variation of our 4 day trip. This is assuming arrive Launceston in morning

Day 1 - head straight down Midland Highway with stops at Cambelltown (The Red Bridge is very photogenic) & Ross (another beautiful old bridge) & then head to east coast & stay the night at Coles Bay. Some great sunrise & sunset locations around Coles Bay, especially Honeymoon Bay. Note - getting reasonably priced accomodation at Coles Bay can be difficult, especially for 1 night stay

Day 2 - head up east coast stay at St Helens. St Helens itself not too exciting, but it's the closest accomodation to Bay Of Fires which is spectacular

Day 3 - head inland towrds Scottsdale & then up to the coast and stay either Bridport or Low Head. Bridport is nice little holiday coastal town which should be quiet this time of year. Main reason for going to Bridport (only photographic reason) a fantastic old wooden jetty. Ideally you want to be there when there is a lowish tide at either or both sunset & sunrise. Alternatively Low Head has a very photogenic Lighthouse

Day 4 - head to Cradle Mountain

Day 5 - Cradle Mountain - you really want to spend 2 nights at Cradle Mountain (unless you are not prepared to do any hiking)

Day 6 - assuming departing from Launceston, head that direction. The back road from Sheffield to Deloraine via Mole Creek is scenic. From Deloraine head to Liffey Falls. A beautiful spot. Allow 3 hrs mimimum to do Deloraine - Liffey Falls - back to Deloraine. You could stay the night in Deloraine or maybe Longford. There is a couple of nice farmstay type accomodation in Longford, Brickendon & Woolmers

Launceston itself is nice enough, but doesn't really appeal to me as much of a photo location.

Hobart on the other hand is a different story.

If arriving/departing Hobart

Day1 - Hobart....so much to see in Hobart, have to spend a night.

Day2  - Port Arthur

Day 3 - Coles Bay

Day 4 - only time for a quick look at Bay of Fires & then head to Cradle Mtn

Day 5 - Cradle Mtn 2nd night

Day 6 - Cradle mtn - Liffey Falls - Cambelltown - Ross - Oatlands- Richmond  -if leaving early day 7, stay at Richmond, if not stay at Ross

Here's my Tasmania set on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdaggar/sets/72157602604384785/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow