Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
jharvey
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Now if Adobe was SMART....
In reply to Prstl2, May 7, 2013

...they'd copy Microsoft's method of supporting both permanent and subscriber models. (Did I just say Microsoft was smart?... Well, we'll ignore Windows 8 for the moment.)

But seriously folks, if Adobe left the choice up to the consumer, power users and larger operations would happily pay the subscription fees to have the latest innovations as soon as they came out. With that, Adobe gets a steady cash flow from a large segment that wants to be on the bleeding edge - or simply accepts such charges as a business expense, like leasing a car or renting office space.

But other current customers, like myself, will NEVER pay a monthly fee and face crippled files if I ever STOP paying a monthly fee, even though I've used Photoshop since version 2.5. PS6 will be my last as things stand, and when it gets too old to be practical, I'll just move on to whatever GIMP or GIMP-like competitor looks best at that moment. This means Adobe instantly and permanently loses ever making money again from a large segment of current customers (and I'm guessing there are many more hobbyist and serious amateur users with Photoshop on their computers than power users). Customers who AREN'T worried about having the absolute latest features but still upgrade (and pay) on a regular basis. Keeping the permanent option available would keep those customers, which means more money from people they're throwing away at the moment.

But I'm sure Adobe won't reconsider, unless the outcry is so cacophanous as to make their stock lose half it's value. And if they don't, I sincerely hope it does - for a start.

Comparisons have been made between this move and marketing disasters like New Coke. I'm sure they have one thing in common - it's rare that a 'major advancement' buy an market leader turns out to be such good news for its competition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow