Read this before you buy a Fuji X.

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
Re: Read this before you buy a Fuji X.
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, May 7, 2013

If I could only have one camera then I'm not sure how I would answer this.

I owned an XP1 and wanted so much to like it. It was almost a great camera. The lack of Apple support (now fixed 18 months later) killed it for me in the end. However it did have other foibles that made it less than ideal for me personally.

I replaced it with a Panasonic Lumix GH3 which is close to a shrunken DSLR, has 2 good f2.8 stabilised zooms covering the equivalent of 24-200, has blinding AF with reasonable tracking, is weather sealed and shoots great video if you want to do that.

I have 2 Nikon D3s bodies and a D2Xs body plus a bag of f2.8 and f1.4 lenses if I need the things they offer.

The GH3 is a good machine. It has too much consumer bloatware on it (like scene modes and so on) for my personal tastes but I can just ignore that junk. As a light, fast alternative that delivers pretty good IQ when shot in RAW (I don't shoot jpegs) it makes a respectable alternative with some things in it that I prefer over the Nikons (such as wireless shooting with my iPhone!).

Whether it will stand up to hard use I do not know, because Panasonic do not publish MTBF data for the shutter mechanism etc. Time will tell I guess. It also lacks a few things like a lock on the card door and two SD slots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow