PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,209
Like?
Re: The X20's Green Problem
In reply to Nukunukoo, May 7, 2013

Nukunukoo wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

And here is their reason for doing it.

Old fashioned analog photographs didn’t get a moire pattern because the crystals in film and photo paper aren’t even in size and placement. That randomness breaks up the moire effect.

So Fuji built a new sensor employing what it knew from the film business. Instead of using the Bayer array, it created a pattern called the X-Trans sensor which lays out the red green and blue photo sensors in a way that simulates the randomness of analog film.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Yes. I know

But you forget to mention that they also removed the Optical Low Pass, or AA filter that softens the image before it hits the photosites. That's why they created a more "random" pattern. With an AA filter, the XTrans design is meaningless.

The point being is that, as a D7100 user, that also has no AA filter yet uses the classic Bayer Pattern, the camera does not suffer from any more moire than usual. In fact, never so far...

The D7100's photosites' pitch sizes are just too small for most real world repeating patterns. That's not to say that there's no more Moire, just that it occurs less than previously hypothesized.

Now Ricoh and Pentax have done the same thing as well, while still using the Bayer pattern.

Since the X20's sensor's photosite's pitch is less than a quarter of the typical APS-C, it stands to reason that the advantages with using the Bayer method (Better RAW processing and DxO RAW acceptance, probably lesser green smudging) seems to outweigh the 2/3 XTrans purpose.

Liz

You lost me at "Yes I know"

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow