Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
Re: Plates and clamps
In reply to nkistrup, May 7, 2013

How finicky are the tolerances on the quick release plate on the Kirk collar?  Will it work with any A-S compatible quick release ball head?

Generally, and A-S screw-type clamp will work with most any A-S plate.  But it is a different story with the lever-style clamps.  In fact, RRS warns that only RRS and Wimberly plates will work.

-- hide signature --

Ken Elliott
Equipment in profile.

Hi Ken,

Another to read that, is: "Stay away from RRS heads & clamps."

Forgot who posted it, and in what forum, but there was a link to A-S compatibility combos.   Leaning toward Wimberly plates, Kirk collar, Acratech tripod, and an Acratech clamp directly on my monopod.

The only issue I've seen raised about RRS equipment is that the lever clamps may not always work well with some other brand plates. (Got links to more damning threads?) One might read that as evidence to avoid anything other than RRS because the others take liberties with A-S standard dimensions. I've mixed RRS, Acratech, Foba, Kirk and eBay-nameless-clone over nearly 20 years without compatibility issues. Yes, one of my clamps is a RRS lever. But YMMV.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow