Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,412Gear list
Like?
Re: Not for Lightroom and not for Elements
In reply to Lee Jay, 11 months ago

ljfinger wrote:

I'm absolutely 100% positive of what I said.

Not very comforting. I'd feel a lot better if I heard it from Adobe, not from some semi-random member of DPReview. [I say "semi-random" because I know Lee Jay's been around here a long time and has been pretty reliable.]

I'd also like to be able to point other people to Adobe's statement on the matter. Since I can't find such a statement, I'm having trouble doing that.

Let's compare Adobe's statements on CS6 and Lightroom:

• Photoshop CS6 is still available for purchase as a perpetual software license, via electronic download from Adobe.com and authorized resellers.
  • Lightroom 5 will be available for purchase as a perpetual software license, via electronic download from Adobe.com and authorized resellers.

No difference except in verb tense. CS6 has been available and LR5 isn't yet available, hence the use of "is still" versus "will be."

• Adobe and authorized resellers are no longer selling boxed software [of CS6]...
  • A boxed version of Lightroom 5 will be available from authorized resellers.

Lightroom can still be bought boxed, CS6 can't. Not relevant to my concerns.

• The Photoshop team will provide bug fixes and security updates for Photoshop CS6 while it is still available for purchase. New features and all the other Creative Cloud services, however, will not be added to Photoshop CS6.
  • [no statement of future support for Lightroom]

Whoa!

Adobe's repeated refusal to state what their plans are for non-cloud Lightroom after LR5 are deeply troubling. It could be that Adobe does plan to continue development, but if so, why aren't they trumpeting that? Taken literally, the above says that Adobe plans to provide bug fixes and security updates to CS6 but won't commit to doing even that much for Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Snapseed +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow