Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Adobe Goes All-In on Subscription Pricing Model.
In reply to Robert J. Atwell, May 7, 2013

Well, part of me doesn't blame Adobe for wanting to go this way. They pretty much created the entire genre, and have been more or less consistently innovative and rigorous with updates and bug fixes. And they've done all of this while "losing" millions upon millions of copies to piracy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't PS been the most pirated software on the planet for ages?

Still, like the SimCity debacle, this is a big middle finger to paying customers. They're going to end up wringing more money out of many people than they would have with a one-time license purchase. The only benefit I can see to the consumer is that some folks who don't need to use PS all the time will be able to "rent" it for shorter periods without dropping the traditional $600. Everyone else is going to be at least gently screwed.

I'm with a lot of people around here in hoping/expecting that someone will take advantage of this and come in with a low-priced "indie" alternative. What's more likely, though, is that either Google or Apple will snap up one of the smaller PS competitors (Pixelmator, ACDSee, etc) and turn it into their own product After all, Apple has enough cash lying around to buy Adobe itself many times over.

My prediction: Google snaps up an ACDSee-type company, combines it with the Nik team, and releases a "Picasa Pro" for $49.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow