The beauty of the bouncing built in flash...

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ricardo Maia
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
The beauty of the bouncing built in flash...
May 7, 2013

Let me start by saying the following images are casual images, without any special composition or artistic intention.

I often read how weak the built in flashes are and how useless they are in a camera body, and instead how important is to have an EVF and a hotshoe available.

I guess it depends on what one needs, but having a camera without a built in flash (especially one that can be bounced) is a no-no for me (sorry EM5 users). An EVF is very useful for some situations, but I guess the same picture can be captured with the LCD. I can't say the same about not having a flash.

Here are some examples (taken with a 20mm F1.7 on a GX1) where the flash is used and bounced on the ceiling, in a low light condition (I tried to take them without flash and the overall result is very different).

These are straight from the camera, with no PP whatsoever.

I'm slowly gaining experience, so I guess the photos could be much better, but my point here is about the bouncing built in flash: it really is useful in some low light situations.

Ricardo Maia's gear list:Ricardo Maia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow