Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639
Like?
Re: Drop $350 on a 45mm prime when you've already got the 14-42mm kit lens?
In reply to j y g, May 7, 2013

I can understand where you are coming from.  I purchased my EM-5 with a kit lens of 12-50mm.  I wanted to purchase two bodies without lenses, but they only had one body without a lens, so they sold me that body, and knocked $200 off of the 12-50 kit lens system in order to get me to purchase it.  I had a use for the Olympus 14-150mm and purchased it as well as purchasing the 45 1.8.  I also purchased the 60 2.8 macro as well as the 75 1.8.  These lenses overlap, but I have use for each of these lenses and if I was starting out with the system again, I would make the same purchases.  As far as I am concerned, each of those lenses has a specific purpose in my shooting and they are used for that specific purposes, as well as my 9-18mm and 75-300mm has a specific purpose as well.  As far as the 14-42mm compared to the 45mm, if you have something else to cover the range of 14-42 and need something in that range, then go for the 45mm which to me is a much better lens the 14-42mm.  I would purchase both of those lenses because I would have a specific use for both lenses.  Even with my 12-50mm lens, I purchased the 9-18mm lens specifically for doing landscapes, it did a much better job for me than using the 12-50mm for landscapes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow