Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom
In reply to Liamo Luo, May 7, 2013

Liamo Luo wrote:

I'm by no means an expert, but if you only want 4 lenses I'd be tempted to get a 50mm instead of the 35mm as this is a standard zoom on a full frame camera I believe. Then either keep the 24mm option or get a 28mm.

I do go back and forth between the 35 vs 50.  I have the 40 pancake right now and find the gap between 40 and 85 is not too excessive and is a nice combo for most travel photos (especially street photos in cities).  So the Sigma 35 seems like a nice replacement for the 40.  I see what you mean about the 24 being too close to the 35.  the reason I'm drawn to the 24 2.8 IS is the combo of size,weight, low cost and IQ.....seems like a great option for travel.  I'd like to go wider (17, 21), but that brings into play big increases in size, weight and especially cost......or taking a hit on IQ.

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow