Loyal Canon Buyer - Can't wait any longer, going with D800 Locked

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jfw
jfw
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Re: Loyal Canon Buyer - Can't wait any longer, going with D800
In reply to A Owens, 11 months ago

You asked that I let you know how it goes.  Well, I waited a few months for the left focus issue to die down a bit, and then I did purchase a D800 and a 24-70/f2.8.  Followed that up with a purchase of a 70-200/f4.

Perhaps I'll have time to write more later but, in general, I have been very happy with the purchase and the performance of the system.  The 24x36 prints look great on my Epson 7900.

It took some time to get used to the Nikon system after so many years of shooting Canon.  Regarding the ergonomics, there are a number of things I like better on the Nikon system, while others I still like better on the Canon system.  For example (perhaps its just old habits) but I much prefer Canon's method for adjusting exposure comp (1/2 press shutter and turn thumb wheel) - I find that faster and more natural than the Nikon system's method. And I find the D800 turns on accidentally in my backpack because of where the on/ off switch is.  But there are just as many things I like better on the D800.  For example, I like MUP on the dial, and then I've mapped a 1-3 sec shooting delay choice to one of the front buttons - works great.  Try to get that out of a Canon system.

BTW, I also decided to keep my Canon system.  And I do use it on occasion because I have more lenses and flashes for that system (primes, macro, fisheye) which I do not yet have in the Nikon world.  It still works great (except for the dang dust...)

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DudeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow