Started May 5, 2013 | Questions thread
EXX
EXX
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Re: Superzoom lens for Sony a-65
In reply to lross, May 7, 2013

lross wrote:

None of the above...   I found that zooming past 135mm things tended to get soft and that I was just as good taking a shot at 135mm and cropping it.   So I use a Tamron 24-135mm zoom for my walk around and it's sharp zoomed all the way in.   If the lens can zoom past 135 your going to use it and just find out later it's too soft.  I ended up doing that so much and getting frustrated later, when reviewing the shots, that I sold the lens.   Why kid yourself.

I cannot agree. I use the Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD and although the lens is not supersharp at the long end, it is definitely better than cropping from 135mm. Note: you have to stop the lens down to f/8 of f/11 for optimal results. Forget about good low-light performance with any superzoom, it is just not up to it.

Speaking about 135mm, there is another nice alternative: the new Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM. It uses a Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) for quiet focusing, with Direct Manual Focus override. It will most propably also benefit from the in-camera lens correction function in the A65.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow