Is open software the only option...

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,441Gear list
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to Antioch, May 7, 2013

Only reason the majority upgraded was due to New Camera's, else we would still be using Photoshop 7.

Yes, that is what drove PS upgrades for me in the past. Glad to see the back of that (with LR).

If the pixel and layer editing features of an older version of PS were and continue to be sufficient for us (bearing in mind that when first released, we were quite happy to accept them as almost unimprovably cutting-edge), then we can either keep using that, or else get some further updated features still, by running the very latest Elements instead.

As for the Raw conversion, Lightroom users do get the very latest ACR conversion at a lower regular upgrade cost, than on even the previous Photoshop upgrade treadmill.

As a CS5 user myself, the only remaining justification for upgrading to CS6 -  that I would be able to maintain the onward upgradeability of my perpetual license - has been weakened by this announcement. I was feeling a bit stubborn about getting "pushed" into an upgrade that I didn't particularly need for functional reasons - putting it off - now glad I did.

Once / IF Elements gains layer groups, and rectifies one or two other frustrating omissions, I'd probably be sufficiently happy with that, in practice, or CS5 - plus Lightroom.

If Adobe can encourage home and small-scale photographers to stay current on Elements and on Lightroom both, with many people adopting every upgrade as it comes (since the cost of doing this is accessible for many), that's a reasonable revenue stream without feeling like too much of an imposition. AFAIK this path, including the ability to skip version upgrades as you wish, remains available.

The user whose software funds itself, by contrast, probably has nothing to fear - expenditure will likely have been planned for adopting all upgrades anyway, and the delivery model is not such an issue - unless internet access is a problem in your particular circumstance, denying you the beneficial use of Cloud features.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow